Saturday, May 7, 2011

Jambalaya - Takes Us Back to Our "Nawlins" Days For Realz

Nothing says New Orleans like jambalaya. Well, ok, maybe red beans and rice would. This was my first attempt at making jambalaya, and it came out really well. Although, it was a little too hot for me! We shared some with my in-laws, and my father-in-law looked absolutely shocked when he took a bite! But once he started to laugh I knew it was out of pleasant surprise, and not disgust, haha. He said, "I didn't know you liked spicy food!" Then, directed towards my husband, "Spicy food makes a real man!" I've hardly ever seen my father-in-law so animated - it made me feel good! Next time I think I'll make it with the regular sausage links and not the cajun seasoned ones. I can't take the heat! ;-)
We enjoyed eating this, sharing it with family, and reminiscing about our time in the South. Despite a lot of drama that we had to deal with while living there, there are wonderful memories too. It is after all, where we met, fell in love, got married (on St. Charles Avenue!!! SO romantic!), and spent so many fun days with our children. All together. I truly miss those days, and still feel like New Orleans is home. I think I will always carry a piece of it in my heart, and the song, "Do You Know What it Means?" means so much more to me now. Yes! I do know what it means to miss New Orleans.


I wish we had a more up close picture of this dish, but unfortunately we only took a bird's eye pic of this. So you'll be left to imagine the details I suppose...
For dessert I tried another new recipe. Can you say DELICIOUS?!?!? OMGosh, it's mouth-watering good. Your taste buds will absolutely explode with pleasure from this one! No joke!
It's called, "Mississippi Mud." Totally. Divine.

Both of these recipes are from the Southern Living comfort food: a delicious trip down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment! Please help me protect my children by not using their real names or locations.