Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hosting An Easter Brunch

This year we had my daughter with us for Easter weekend. I'm so happy that we were able to bring her up for this holiday.
We wanted to celebrate with our family that lives in the area, so we hosted an Easter brunch. We served Puffed Oven Pancakes from the Better Homes & Garden New Cookbook (my husband's specialty! Although this time I made it...but it really does taste better when he does it!), Sour Cream Coffee Cake from a set of family recipes from my older childrens' paternal side of the family, sausage, applewood smoked bacon - prepared in the oven, a trick I learned from my brother last summer - muffins from the local grocery store, ham brought by my in-laws, a delicious fruit bowl from our Meme and Pepe, and scrambled eggs. Pepe commented that he'd come back anytime. :-)

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
In large bowl combine:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar

Cut in:
1/3 cup butter or margarine

Measure out 1/4 cup and set aside. To the rest add and mix well:
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Add and mix well:
1/2 cup dairy sour cream

Spread batter into greased 8x8x2 inch baking pan.

Stir together and sprinkle atop batter in pan:
reserved crumble mixture
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Bake 30-35 minutes in 350 degree oven.

Makes 9 servings.

Try it out! It has become one of our family favorites, and we make it for late weekend breakfasts, and then enjoy snacking on the leftovers all day!

Well, I think that about catches me up to the present on the meals I wanted to share for now. Here's to happy cooking and happy families.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment! Please help me protect my children by not using their real names or locations.