Sunday, February 19, 2012

Peaches, Peaches, and More Peaches

I learned last summer that you can't wait too long to do something with a wonderful box of peaches. Otherwise, you end up with rotting, fruit-fly attracting blobs that smell of regret. :-(
BUT, before I learned that about peaches, thankfully, I did something with the other box!
Here is my first ever peach cobbler. It came out fabulous! The only problem was, a little bit went a long way, and we ended up with too many leftovers. Even with sharing! That's ok; next time I'll know to invite some friends over when I want to make this recipe. :-)


This was my first time really working with peaches. A friend who knows way more about stuff like this than me, pointed me in the right direction. Yay for friends!! I looked up how to prepare them for freezing (and my friend gave me directions too), and I was so proud of myself when I finished the first box up! It took what felt like forever to boil all of the peaches, peel their skin and cut them into slices. I had NO idea if I was doing it right....but we've been enjoying the fruits of that labor all winter long, so I guess I did ok.
Here are the peaches ready to be bagged for the freezer.
 So beautiful!! They are absolutely delicious. The kind that melts in your mouth and leaves juice running down your arm. Yum.
 And here are all of the gross skins and pits!! Ewww! This part was not so fun. Does anyone have any good tips on how to remove the peach from the pit? I tried the twist method with these...yeah...about that...didn't work so hot for me! Maybe I just need more practice?!? At any rate, the job got done. It was a pretty fun learning experience all in all. I'm looking forward to it being peach season again this year, so I can try it all over! Maybe I'll actually get to try canning some of them, too.

Here's a little video I took right after taking the cobbler out of the oven. A little cheesey, I know! But it was exciting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment! Please help me protect my children by not using their real names or locations.