Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Validation

So. A year has gone by since I began this blog, and admittedly, I haven't been posting as consistently as I would like to. Or even as much as I have thought about posting, which has actually been a lot! I do have lots of pictures saved from my cooking adventures this summer (now that we're well into fall!), and I hope that I will be able to blog about them soon.
But not now.
Now I want to talk about how I have been feeling as the year mark has approached and passed since life changed last year. And I want to talk about validation.
This has been a year of sorrow. It has been a year of trying to maintain a positive attitude and not let my emotions ruin life in the present. It has been a year filled with self-doubt. Especially as a mother. I've noticed the self-doubt gaining more presence in my mind as the year mark was approaching. In relation to this blog I've wondered if there was even a point to what I have been trying to do here. It was starting to seem crazy and self-indulgent. Maybe it is still self-indulgent, but I'm not worried about the crazy part anymore! It does make sense, and I want to direct your attention to an episode of On Point radio with Tom Ashbrook for the explanation.
It was playing as I drove home from book club tonight and it was exactly what I needed to hear. The guest was Adam Gopnik and they were discussing his new book called, The Table Comes First: Family, France, and the Meaning of Food. Let me just say that I can't wait to get the book and read it myself. (Side note...I'm already thinking ahead about whether to switch my book club selection to this book!)

I felt so validated as they were discussing the meaning that food has for people.

....I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year for the family that will be in town. I've never made a turkey before, and it's really intimidating. On that note, I will try to "carve" out some time to get back to this blog. If not for anyone else, it does have meaning for me. And I've been making some yummy stuff that I'd love to share. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Joy!

    A turkey is the EASIEST. You'll love it. I soak mine in a brine the night before, and then it's the most tender and juicy meat ever. Let me know if you want more info.

    XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment! Please help me protect my children by not using their real names or locations.